Saturday, October 17, 2009
Language Blunders
This last week I finally began meeting with my new language tutor. We spent weeks looking for one and just before the break, one of Jared's teachers showed an interest. She is now coming to our home twice a week and spending an hour and half each time working with me. This past summer I spent the months continuing to speak the local language, yet without good study time. I know I am most likely making tremendous blunders, but don't really have much choice but to speak and speak with boldness. I spend much of the day talking with our househelper, who speaks no english, and also speak with people at the market, people I run into while the boys play outside, our neighbors, etc. Yesterday during my tutor session, I discovered that each time I used the phrase "make food", I was actually saying "make eat food". Oops! Who knows how long I would continue on with this regularly used phrase, had I not used it with my tutor. Now I wonder, what other regularly used phrases am I completely butchering. It makes sense that there are many times our new househelper and I have difficulty communicating with each other. Jared and I have also found there are words I use regularly he learns it a completely different way in class. Later we discover that I picked it up from our househelper or the vegetable lady at the market, and it is okay to use it but is not necessarily standard. I would much rather be learning correct grammar and use for phrases and words, and then practice using it correctly. I guess language learning is not necessarily that 'clean'. Wow, what a crazy amount of 'stuff' we have to learn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing your language blunder! We all have those!! :) It's weird how there are almost two language mixed together because the locals some times have their own way of saying things that might not be exactly proper. It's good that you are picking up on some of how they says things. I did the same thing with our helper. Keep pressing on!! You are doing great!
that is exactly how i was after being here 2 1/2 years and then studying formally..almost daily i was saying "oh that's how it really is supposed to be said!!" you just keep up the studying, jia you!! :)
Post a Comment