This last week, Jared had some time off of school. One of those days we decided to go on an adventure. (Although I do have to say that many times we leave the house it becomes an adventure, I guess this was a time when we sort of planned for an adventure.) I have been hearing for months about this place nearby where you can go and pick fruit and have really been wanting to try it. Jared did some research and thought he could get us there, so we decided to try it. Here is a quick overview of our day: We left the house at 8:30 am and headed to the long distance bus station. At the bus station we caught a bus for a city that is nearby to the orchards, our final destination. The bus ended up being one that stops over and over again to pick up and drop off people. After 2 1/2 hours, we arrived in the city. We then caught another bus, that dropped us off at the street that led up to the orchards. We walked down this street for about 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do next. Two horse drawn carts offered to take us, for the equivalent of 20 US dollars (we quickly declined). Finally a taxi agreed to take us the short distance to the gate of the orchards. Once we were at the gate we paid the entrance fee and fee to pick fruit (which included a small bag to fill and take home). We then boarded a small van that took us to the pear orchard. By the time we arrived at the orchard it was 12:00. Boys, and I, were worn out and hungry. We ate a quick lunch, stuff I had brought, and started picking. Wow, were the pears good! I had never tasted anything like them. Thanks to
Joy of Cooking, which I quickly opened up once we got home, I have learned they are Asian pears which are known for being crisp like an apple but very juicy with a more subtle flavor. Yum! We ate our fill, in addition to quickly filling our two tiny bags (each held about 8 pears). During our entire time of picking, and playing, the gentleman who drove us up in the van was trying to hurry us along. We finally figured out that he was our only way back and wanted to get back himself, so after 45 minutes we reluctantly headed back to the van and began our journey back home. Jared decided, if possible, we would pay the 'big bucks' and get a taxi to take us back home. Our three and a half hour journey was not exactly something we wanted to repeat. With the help of our van driver we did get a taxi, who picked us up at the entrance gate to the orchards. Fourty-five minutes later we were back home putting the boys down for naps. Now can you imagine that! It took us 3 1/2 hours to get there and 45 minutes to get home. We did spend less than 5 us dollars to get there and spent almost 18 to get home, so I guess it makes sense. Jared commented once we got home that it does not make sense to go on an outing where it takes longer to get there than the time actually spent playing. I have to agree. We spent almost 5 hours traveling with only 45 minutes playing. Don't think we will be doing that trip again. On a final note, we did have a good time. We left the house knowing we were up for a crazy trip, with no clue what to expect. I brought lots of snacks, diapers, toys, blanket for Jacob, etc. Josiah is also still talking about going to pick pears, as well as the stick he got to bring home from our trip. Even with all the inconveniences, we still had a great time as a family and now have a story to laugh about. Here are some pictures from our 45 minutes of picking/playing.

The orchards are on steep, terraced, hills. We did a lot of climbing. The trees were covered in fruit, all of it was ripe (or at least all we tried) and delicious.



By the time we left the boys were covered in dirt. The sticky pear juice on their faces and hands, attracted the dirt and dust which then stuck. I stripped them when we got home and they got good baths that night. Both of them now have a new favorite fruit!
No comments:
Post a Comment