Friday, July 23, 2010

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

A few weeks ago I discovered how I could easily and conveniently make yogurt. What a discovery! We have lots of good yogurt here, however it is all very sweet and is for drinking (not eating with a spoon). It is great for dessert but it is not our favorite for everyday stuff and for recipes. When we first moved here, I shelved a bunch of recipes that called for plain yogurt after discovering, through trial and error, that I could not successfully make them. We are now re-discovering some of our favorite meals. That and enjoying some fantastic yogurt smoothies, our fruit here is super fresh and yummy. This week I made tzatziki sauce and we got to have souvlaki, minus the feta cheese and kalamata olives :(. This was one of our favorites in the states and it was fun to be able to recreate some of those tastes here. I think it can become one of our regular meals, now that I am able to make yogurt!!
I thought I would share with you one of our family's favorite meals, and has been for probably about 4 or 5 years now. It is super easy, and of course has plain yogurt. This one I have been making here with the sweet yogurt but is so much better with the unsweetened stuff. I found it years ago in a Real Simple magazine.

Chicken Curry in a Hurry

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (sometimes needs more depending on kind of chicken you use)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (optional) (I just chop up one or two tomatoes and throw them in)
1 rotisserie chicken (I use shredded chicken from a chicken I baked previously)
2 cups cooked white rice (optional)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the yogurt and cream and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and tomatoes (if using). Remove from heat. Slice or shred the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Divide the rice (if using) and chicken among individual bowls, spoon the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the cilantro.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Kelly! I got caught up on your blog again, so glad to hear that your recent medical issues resolved well. Your kids are so adorable! Emma's smiles particularly caught my heart! I know you are enjoying them.

Can you tell me how you make your yogurt? I'd be interested to try it, it's one of my girls' favorite foods!

thanks so much,
rachel w

Rose said...

I LOVE this recipe! Riley and I make it all the time. Let me know if you have any other good ones to try :)