Monday, July 12, 2010

Adventures Getting Well

We have had a crazy past few weeks. Here is the story, a fast forward version. A few weeks ago I woke up one morning with a headache and dizziness, and the back of my head had some numbness. I thought I had just slept on it funny, and it would quickly go away. Four days later it was still the same, so we decided I should probably go see a doctor. That morning we left the boys with friends here, and Jared, Emma and I headed the 3 hours to the big city to see a doctor. The doctor was concerned by the symptoms and suggested I have an MRI, however it may be days before I could get one there. At his suggestion, we headed to the airport and boarded a plane for another big city. Next morning I went in to see a neurologist who had me admitted to the hospital to do some tests. By this time I was having some lack of feeling in other areas as well. In the four days I was in the hospital I had a bunch of tests done and everything came back normal. We were very relieved by all this, however at the same time were wondering what was happening to my body. On the third day the symptoms began to subside and I was released the next day but asked to stay in the city for another 4 days to make sure all was okay. At the suggestion of one of the doctors, we went and saw an ear, nose, throat specialist. As soon as I described the symptoms, he gave me a diagnosis and medication to help relieve the dizziness. His diagnosis basically came down to an inner ear issue, which was affecting the nerves and causing all the symptoms. This could be caused by stress, lack of sleep, really is unknown. The medication he gave me quickly relieved the dizziness and I also now have all feeling back. After 10 days of being gone, we headed back home and our family was reunited. All seems a bit like a blur now, probably partly because much of the time I was dizzy :) God was taking care of us and our family, and orchestrating all events in this past couple weeks. Continually, Jared and I were reminding ourselves that the Father knew the ultimate outcome and we could rest in His unfailing arms. Our boys were being cared for, and loved, by our close friends and Jared was able to care for Emma (she also took formula just fine, while I was not able to nurse). We had so many friends praying for us all around the world and I truly believe the Father was answering their prayers in providing for Jared and I, and our family, and in bringing me healing. Thank you! While I was in the hospital I kept coming back to Psalm 16.
"Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, 'You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.'...Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure...In your presence there is fullness of joy."
Even in the midst of a trial I had so much to be joyful for! Thank you Father for the promises you give even in the midst of suffering!

No comments: