Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sweet vs. Salty

Last week Jared was at a local store buying baguettes.  Most of the bread in our city is sweet, one of the main reasons why I make most of our bread, however we have found a supermarket that carries these nice, crispy crust, baguettes.   We were expecting many guests, I was making pulled pork, and therefore Jared had seven of these long loaves sitting in his shopping cart.   A store employee noticed, from across the bakery, that Jared had grabbed all of their baguettes.  She quickly ran over, yelling to get Jared's attention.  The observant and helpful employee wanted to tell him that the baguettes were not sweet.  It surprised her that he would want to buy bread that was not sweet.  Jared smiled and told her, thank you.  (If it had been me, I probably would have smiled and told her that was why I was buying them, because they were NOT sweet.  Notice the emphasis!) 
A 'fact' in this part of the world is that westerner's like sweet stuff and Asian's like salty.  I guess it is true to some extent but it seems we are often running into situations that prove it to be otherwise.  Such as this one, in addition to the local yogurt, milk, crackers, ketchup, coffee....

No comments: