In three days we board a plane, well three planes to be exact, and will eventually arrive in Oregon, USA. This past week the kids and I have been talking about what it will be like in America. Josiah is almost six and he has not been in the states since he was 2 1/2. His memories are limited. Here are a few 'snapshots' of our conversations.
Josiah: "Daddy said that he can drive a car when we get to Oregon. Mommy, can you drive a car too? I don't think I want you to drive, I think it would be better if only Daddy drives....."
Me: "In America when you go to the grocery store you will see other kids and they will speak English."
Josiah: "Really?" (with a huge smile on his face) "They will be "Asianese" though, right?"
Me: "Some might look "Asianese" and some might look the same as you."
Josiah: "I will remember what shirt they are wearing and then when I see them two times I will go talk to them and then they will be my friends."
[Here most people wear the same clothes every day.]
Josiah: "What kind of food will we eat in America?"
Me: "Lots of different things, different things than you have even eaten before. I am looking forward to salad, especially Grammy's spinach salad and Grandma Dugan's salads."
Josiah: "Even if I don't like something I will still eat it and say thank you."
(This is coming from a kid who likes to eat silkworms, loves squid, and regularly eats kelp and congealed blood at school.)
Today I pulled out the infant car seat that we brought Jacob to Asia in. The kids have not seen it in the past 3 1/2 years. It became the hot item in our house and provided hours of play this afternoon. A new thing to get used to...car seats. I am looking forward to it. Traveling, with all kids strapped in? Something I have yet to experience.
We have yet to practice eating with our mouths closed, not spitting out bones and seeds on the table, putting toilet paper in the toilet, and not spitting in public places. A few things we will probably want to work on a bit once we land on US soil :).
Looking forward to seeing the place I grew up in, through the eyes of my kids who have yet to experience it. Such fun!
Jacob posing, in the bike seat. He is just outside the boys' school, although cannot see school in this picture.
Josiah in doorway of his favorite place to visit and look at toys, and maybe buy a snack.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
awww! good laughs! I hope you have a great time back in the states!
Post a Comment