One of my goals upon returning here to Asia, was to set up some sort of regular one-on-one time with each of the kids. It worked that Jared is regularly gone two evenings a week, and I keep Emma home from school one day that both boys go. So, for the past few months now, Tuesday nights I have a date, at home, with Jacob, Thursday nights with Josiah, and Wednesday mornings with Emma. Completely unexpected by me, these evenings have become the basis that the entire week now revolves around. The kids count down until their date night, and decide everything based on who's date is next, and who just had theirs. Our 'dates' are really very simple. For the boys', they get to stay up 30 to 40 minutes after everyone else has gone to bed. They usually choose to have me read them a couple books, then play a game or do a puzzle. I also try to do something that sparks up a meaningful conversation and spend some time in prayer with them. Emma's dates are similar although they are in the morning after boys have gone to school and her dates always involve tea, per her request. It is funny, I feel like through these short times with the kids, I have been able to get to know them a little better. They are able to talk and talk and talk and I get to just listen, without any distractions. I cannot take the credit for this idea. Thanks to some friends we visited with in the states, who had already set the example.
Jacob and I worked on this puzzle together, last Tuesday evening.
Sunday, March 31, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment