We are now in the third week of being home with three kids. I have sort of found a routine. Well, for the most part...today was a bit off. We woke up to both boys with fevers, Josiah throwing up, and Emma with some sort of eye infection. It was definitely a more tiring mom day. Anyways, some friends were asking what a typical day is like in our house, thought I would give a bit of a picture. If you have any interest in how a mom and three small kids in Asia spend their day, continue reading.
Josiah and Jacob get up at 7 each morning. Jared usually gets them started on breakfast while I have a few more minutes to take care of myself and/or Emma. At 7:15 Jared leaves for school and I take over. After breakfast boys and Emma get dressed, and I instruct our househelper on any changes in the day's chores. By this time Jacob is ready for his morning nap so we read some books and I put him down while Josiah picks out what he wants to do for a few minutes of just he and I time. Josiah and I hang out a few minutes, until 9:00 when he goes into his room to play on his own. The next hour I use to read the Bible, pray, etc. At the end of the hour I get some sort of craft or activity ready for Josiah. Once Josiah is going on his activity, I wake up Jacob from his nap and he joins us. By this time it is 10:30 and we have an hour before lunch to use however, usually involving finishing and cleaning up activity, feeding Emma, changing diapers, training boys, etc. Sometimes we get to talk on the phone to grandparents!
Our helper makes lunch each day, usually one or two dishes of local food. It is excellent and wow am I thankful knowing each day we will get in one good meal, that does not have to be prepared by me. Lunch at our house usually takes at least an hour, if not more. Josiah is a talker and slow eater, Jacob doesn't especially like to swallow. Boys both go down for naps at 1:00. I also try to get in a nap but sort of depends on what Emma decides to do. I always at least go the bedroom and rest. Josiah and I get up around 3. On most days Josiah then watches a short video while I get our helper started on dinner preparations. Jacob wakes up around 4 and I give both boys a small snack while I give our helper the shopping list for the next day (she goes to the market each morning and gets food for our lunch, dinner, etc.) Jared usually gets home between 5 and 5:30. and we eat at 5:30. After dinner we have some family time, then bedtime at 7. Jared and I work together to get kids in bed, at least when Jared is home. From 7 to 10, I tend to be consoling a fussy Emma (this is definitely her crying time) while finishing up undone stuff from the day. Tonight I have one foot on the bouncy seat while writing a couple emails and getting in this post. At 10, I feed Emma and am off to bed, usually completely exhausted and hoping for as few interruptions during the night as possible.
We definitely deviate from this routine, especially in the evenings. Sometimes we go out to eat with friends or have them over. Jared's schedule is always fluctuating as well. I thrive on knowing what to expect and therefore tend to plan our week ahead of time, what we have going on, what we are going to eat, etc. I have to be flexible but also am able to be prepared for best using our helper and having our home and/or kids ready for any changes.
Tonight I have finished clearing up clutter from the day, and have extra sheets, ibuprofen, and towels ready, just in case they are needed in the night by sick kids. Now I am off to bed, I want to be rested for whatever is thrown my way tonight and/or tomorrow.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment