Saturday, March 20, 2010

Still a Foreigner

I am always looking for stories to post about the culture here. I either don't get out much or am so used to stuff I don't notice it, because I don't often come up with culture stories. (Both are probably the case.) Today I did get out and I did notice something. Jared and I planned the day around an outing I had planned for the afternoon, to get together with some new mom's and their babies at a friend's house. All day today there has been a mix of rain and snow coming down. It has also been really windy, causing the sleet to fall horizontally. This afternoon I headed out with Emma to our main gate to meet a friend. We planned to catch a taxi together. I waited and waited and waited. Finally I called my friend and it turns out the whole thing was canceled because the other moms didn't want to take their babies out in the snow. Rather ironic, considering at the moment I had been waiting in the snow for 15 minutes with my 7 week old. I seemed to be the only one surprised by the cancellation. Once again I was reminded that I was the foreigner. The only one who actually took her child outside, in her incredibly huge snowsuit and two blankets, to the horror of others who stayed in their nice warm houses with their children.

No comments: