Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Housekeeping

This last week, as I was looking at my kitchen and deciding what I should clean (or not clean), I started thinking about how different I often think about housekeeping than I did a few years ago. I guess that is what happens with the addition of three young children, and one on the way, living in another country where there is perpetual black dust, and regularly needing to look at my time and where it is best spent. I have never liked 'clutter' and still do not. I think that is one area that has not changed. I still rest best when the clutter is at least picked up. However, I can sleep easy if...

*The bathroom stinks. I have decided it is not worth the battle with two young boys who really are trying their best to aim well.
*Emma always has black feet from running around on floors that cannot get cleaned often enough.
*My kitchen washcloths cannot get smelling fresh. I tend to use and wash them for a week or two then throw them away and get new, cheap ones.
*Our clothes smell like mildew because they take so long to dry.
*There are leftovers in the refrigerator that should have been thrown away days ago.
*Dishes are covering the kitchen counter.
*The kids have not had a bath for a couple days. (Their clean clothes already smell bad so why does it matter :)).

I like to think instead of how my kids had good meals, they got to hear a couple stories read to them, have long conversations with their mom, and got to play lego's together instead of taking a bath. And how I got to write this post, and catch up on reading some blogs, instead of scrubbing the stinky bathroom floors. Thankful for the little things, and the ways Father has helped me to overlook the ones that used to seem big!!!

No comments: