Thursday, January 10, 2013
An Outing
This morning, after being cooped up in the house for a few days, I decided to pack up the kids and take them to a local coffee shop. A coffee shop with a high chair, toy box and games, plus yummy orange popcorn. In the states it would have been a fairly simple outing, put on everyone's coats and shoes, strap them in car seats and we are off. Not quite as simple here. First I put on everyone's long johns. Then we began the layering, sweatshirts (it is cold at the coffee shop), coats, hats, gloves/mittens, scarves, and finally shoes. Shoes are always last, since once they are on, kids are confined to the small area next to the door. The last one to dress was Judson, and he promptly filled his diaper just as I was about to put his snowsuit on. Finally, everyone was dressed, Judson was in the front carrier, and Josiah and I each had two bags of garbage to take out. (I have not yet figured out how to get garbage out to the dumpster when Jared is not here.) Somehow we all got down to the bottom of the two flights of stairs without anyone falling (Emma and Jacob have a hard time seeing over the top of their scarves and down jackets.) We threw the garbage away. Then, we made our way out of our complex and to the main street, Jacob and Emma holding my hands and Josiah holding Jacob's. Once out on the street, we waited 5 to 10 minutes for a free taxi to drive by and stop. There are rules when it comes to loading in a taxi...Do NOT put shoes on the seat, Do NOT put shoes on the seat, DO NOT put shoes on the seat. If you do, you will get yelled at and maybe even grabbed by the taxi driver. Such a hard ordeal for little ones when they all have to load on the curb side and then climb all the way across. We were successful, at least on the way there. We loaded, Josiah, Jacob, Emma, and finally me holding Judson and the backpack, all across the back seat. A picture would have been great, alas the best times for pictures are when I don't have free hands. After a 10 minute ride, and a 10 minute 'Asianese' conversation with the driver at the same time as an English conversation with Emma, we arrived at our destination. We unloaded onto the curb, crossed the six lane road, with no crosswalks or cars yielding to pedestrians, and walked into the coffee shop. A smiling friend greeted us, helped remove everyone's coats, gloves, hats, and scarves, and served us hot water. Refreshing! :). I immediately anticipated the preparation for and trip back home. We made it and had a good time. Seems like a typical routine for any outing. I need to get accustomed to it. It wore me out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kelly, this cracks me up because we have had the exact same experience lately. Kids falling over because they can't see over their layers, and cab drivers pitching fits because kids get dirty shoe prints on their seat covers. It is beyond me why they choose white seat covers to begin with! I am incredibly impressed that you even attempt to go out with all 4 kiddos!
Wow! Do I have a new respect for Kelly.
Post a Comment