Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tea

It has been cold, very cold. Most of last week we had highs in the teens (Fahrenheit). I am beginning to think the weather may be below zero until next spring, although we have not yet experienced a fall here in our city (we arrived in January). Josiah is having great fun finding ice 'puddles' to slide on, during those short and few times we get outside. We definitely have been hanging around the house a lot. I have been busy coming up with activities to keep us busy.

One of our favorite treats we have pulled out recently is this recipe for Chai Tea Latte's, yum! I need to give credit to my friend Rachel, who blessed us with this recipe a couple years ago. Thought you may enjoy. It is warm and comforting, and makes the house smell wonderful.

Chai Tea Concentrate

Toss into a crock-pot:

2 quarts water (8 cups)
8 bags black tea (or 8 tablespoons loose leaf)
3/4 cup sugar
16 whole cloves
16 whole cardamom seeds (I don't have these so have never used them)
5 cinnamon sticks
8 skinny slices fresh ginger

Cover. Cook on high for 2 to 2.5 hours. Strain mixture and discard solids.

Use 1 part milk to 2 parts chai. Serve hot or chilled.

The concentrate can be refrigerated for 3 days.

Note: For those of you staying away from caffeine (like me) you can also use decaf black tea.

1 comment:

JenV said...

Daniel and I just had some... You're right- Yummm! Any other new recipes your are learning from your neck of the woods?

Jen