Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Recent Friendly Advice

"Emma is sick because when you took her to the post office on Thursday, the wind blew her hat off."

"You need to take your kids to the hospital to get an IV." (they had a fever)

"Do not take Emma in the stroller to pick up Josiah, it is too windy."

"Your kids should have a net over their faces, the wind is not good for their health."

"Jacob does not eat well because you give him cold milk."

"Your kids have too many clothes."

"Don't make dinner. Your kids don't like to eat."

"Give it to him so that he doesn't cry."

"Aren't you going to lay down with your kids so they will go to sleep?"

"Jacob needs to eat more food."

"Put more clothes on your kids today, it is cold outside."

"Don't take kids with you today, it is raining."

"Emma is crying, go get her."

"Jacob should not put his thumb in his mouth. It is bad for his hand."

"You must be so tired all the time."

These are a few, of the many, comments I have received in the past few days from multiple ladies, some good friends and some complete strangers. Many were repeated more than once. This is a normal and regular part of every day. If only these women realized that I, as a foreigner, am not sure what to do with all this advice/comments, and that because we stand out so much I receive an abundance of it.
I have been struggling, especially since moving here, with parenting issues. I am often reading books, and wondering what I should be doing differently, am I doing anything right, etc? It does not help that in the eyes of the culture I am living in, I am doing almost everything 'wrong', and it is expected that other women will advise me as to what I should do differently. I have also made the mistake of reading books, written by wonderful Godly women, that encourage parenting styles that we have decided are not best for our situation right now. (For example, the importance of not sending your child to school, especially when they are preschool age, in order to be the one who is influencing them. We have decided, however, to place our boys in a local school, which is also a good thing.) I have been thankful for this struggle. Thankful for the ways it has made me cling to what God's word says about parenting, about how my children should act, how I should be teaching them, and how we should respond to others, and what should be on my and my childrens' hearts and lips. Thankful that I have had to face the fact that I fear man instead of fearing the Lord. Thankful that I am being humbled, daily, many many times. Thankful that God's word crosses all cultures and applies to all people of all backgrounds, experiences, and nationalities. I can know that as I seek truth from God's word, that it is right and is right no matter where I live. And, that it really is okay to not do everything like people do it in America :).

"How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth! From Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path." Psalm 119:103-105

No comments: