Earlier this week we took a trip into 'the big city' nearby for some doctor appointments and to get flu shots. While there I also had my 20 week ultrasound. Jared and I had decided, as we had also decided with our first three, to not find out girl or boy. I really like the surprise when the baby is born. Well, as I was lying down to get the ultrasound I told the English speaking nurse, in English, that I did not want to find out the sex of the baby. She smiled and said okay. (Supposedly here people are not usually allowed to find out what they are having, so I didn't think it was any big deal.) The ultrasound technician was on my right, nurse on my left, and Jared and the kids were all standing at my feet watching. As we got into the ultrasound, me tearing up of course, the nurse and ultrasound technician begin whispering over my belly, in the local language. Here was their conversation, translated:
Technician: "It is a boy."
Nurse: "A boy, are you sure."
Technician: "Yes, here is the bottom, legs, and...."
Nurse: "So it is a boy?"
Technician: "Yes, it is a boy."
Now how clear can you get! At this point I debated what to do, do I pretend like I didn't hear but then know the rest of the pregnancy or do we just blow our surprise now? Well...I looked at Jared, who watched them whispering but couldn't hear what they said, and crying said, "They just said what it was!". I then looked at the nurse and asked her in the local language, "is it really a boy and can they show me the evidence?". So...yes we are having a boy!!! We are all super excited, already throwing around names such as Sampson, Wilbur, Baby Boy (can you guess what stories have been popular around here lately?), planning for how we will fit everyone in kids room, etc. In the end the nurse apologized for breaking the news. She also assumed I was crying because I had wanted a girl. Gave me an opportunity to share with her that I was so filled with joy over the child God is knitting together inside me. What a gift from Father!
So, for the first time, we will be ready with a name, non-yellow baby clothes, and be picturing what our family will look like before the baby comes home in March. I think it is going to take me some time to get used to that idea!
Baby Boy, Wilbur, Sampson, or whatever name you will be given, looking so forward to you joining our family!
Thursday, October 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That made me smile :) What a story to tell that little one, one day! I wanted it to be a surprise but...I couldn't help but understand the local language :) Fun times!! Thinking about you in the days ahead! So excited for you! I can not believe you are already at 20 weeks! The time goes by so fast!!
WOW ! i did know there was another boy even in the works... congratulations.... i am very happy for ya, but ya know we may need to try again for that little ballerina !
great to hear from you guys. hope your meetings this week go great and father is a very powerful force in all the goings on....
got a lot of updating for you from this end as well. so for now i will say HOWDY from Texas.
oops ! forgot about Emma.. this will make 4 - man am i behind...... sorry about that ! our daughter Crystal just had her fourth, and yes her 3rd boy... needless to say.... she is not getting bored... sorry for the oversight on my part...
will email ya soon with lots of updates.
alan
This is such a wonderful story, Kelly! Too funny. Read it to Royce and we both laughed. Congratulations on boy #3! Wow!
Hi Kelly,
I was glad to read your ultrasound blog post. I think of you all sometimes and hope you're doing well. I can't believe your on your way to 4 children! We have the 2 girls and are stopping there. I still use the green pyrex you gave me and I think of you.
Congrats to you and your pregnancy,
Michelle Smith
Post a Comment