Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sleep?

I guess that with a 3 1/2 month old and two year old I should just expect sleep to be sporadic but I still seem to often find myself frustrated with the whole thing. With all the transitions we have had and the many places and time zones we have slept in, it seems that sleep has become a bit of a luxury. It is definitely not something I take for granted. The past couple weeks Josiah has been having a real difficulty in this area. Each weekday when we pick him up from his teacher we get to hear the update on how his nap went that day. What tricks she used to help him to settle down, what worked and when, or if anything did work. I am thankful for her persistance and patience. Nights have also been interesting. One morning, a Saturday of course, he woke up at 4 am and that was that. There was no getting him back to sleep. Josiah is not quiet when he is awake, at any time of the day, so there was no going back to sleep for us. We simply started our day at 4 am along with him. Normally Josiah tends to sleep until 8 am, a blessing for us, however our schedule here has been much earlier and he is rising to the challenge. We were waking him up at 7, until the last couple weeks. Now he has been up at 6:15, or somewhere around there. He has been joining his parents in there readings each morning, which is not always very helpful for them although it is tons of fun for Josiah. So much for routine. I guess we are being prepared for our future move overseas as well as the huge time change we will be experiencing.

On a side note... Jacob is an incredible sleeper. It seems that he can be put down most any time of day and will go to sleep soon after. He also falls back to sleep by himself pretty easily, after being woken up by a rather excited Josiah. With our current schedule, Jacob tends to often have a shortened nap, yet goes with the flow and falls back to sleep when the next opportunity arises.