Monday, June 29, 2009

Josiah and School

This past month I have had the interesting opportunity of switching experiences. Before I had kids I was an elementary school teacher and was daily working with the parents of students. This month I have suddenly become one of those parents, scary! We have had an interesting time with Josiah and school. I guess some of the happenings have been rather funny when we look back, but at the moment we are dealing with it, it is rather stressful. I think so many things end up looking bigger to me than they really are when dealing with things in a language and culture I know so little about. Wow, am I looking forward to learning more!
Here are a few of the most recent happenings. (By the way, Josiah is a talker and is extremely honest. When I go to pick him up each day he fills me in on the details of the day, especially the moments he did something he was not supposed to do. Most of these stories came directly from him.)
Week 1: Josiah discovered the drum set in the dance room at school. Now instead of participating in the dancing/exercise he was the drummer.
Week 2: Josiah discovers that he can run out the front doors of the school and he is immediately in one of the apartment play areas.
Week 3: A friend (who speaks English and local language) and I go in to talk to Josiah's teacher. She tells me that Josiah sits great for about 10 minutes, but then can not seem to sit much more after that. I almost started laughing. This is where the teacher side of me wanted to come in, but I had to keep it quiet remembering that I cannot expect education here to be the same as where I came from.
Week 4: Josiah kicks over a birdcage, which falls down the stairs, opens up, and the two enclosed birds fly away never to be found again.
His first month of school in a second language and culture is almost over. Quite an accomplishment Josiah!

No comments: