Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve

I am sitting here near our Christmas tree, listening to Christmas music, with a pumpkin in the oven (in preparation for tomorrow's breakfast of pumpkin scones). Jared is out for the evening and I am thoroughly soaking in this time, just before Christmas morning. This has been such a different holiday season for us than any other I have ever experienced. In past years we are making travel plans to visit family, doing lots of budgeting and shopping, and just busy with all the extra stuff that comes along with the holiday time. This year our schedule and time was completely what we decided to make of it, with almost no outside influence (that is the best way I can describe it). There is so little commercialization of Christmas here, and basically no events or things going on. I feel as though I have had the chance to just relax and enjoy the coming day, and also spend time in reflection preparing for it. It also helps that as a family each day in December was spent teaching and reflecting on a part of who Christ is and on the promises of God. December has been refreshing to me as I have been reminded of God's own preparation for the gift of His Son, as the ultimate King and Savior of the world.
I won't say that we have not been busy, I have made at least 10 batches of cookies (thankfully very few have been eaten by our family, we have had lots of opportunities to spend time with friends, and the boys are always keeping me running (or waddling as Feb. gets closer). However, I am thankful for the time I have been blessed with to be able to reflect and learn more of the Father's plan in sending Christ, his own son, to dwell among us. What an awesome God!

No comments: