Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A New Christmas Tradition

We are discovering that with young children and living in a country without many holiday traditions (if any) we are able/forced to completely design what it is our family does for holidays. In fact, when I think about it, we design just about anything our family does without much outside influence. This can be a bit overwhelming at times but also refreshing. For the holidays we did find an artificial tree, lights, and some garland. Josiah and I made paper rings and we have a Little People nativity scene we brought from the states (although somehow we have lost Joseph). As Jared and I discussed what types of things we wanted to do with the boys for the holidays, one thing we decided was to do a Jesse Tree. We basically have an ornament for every day of December leading up to Christmas. Each ornament has a picture that goes along with a story. Every night after dinner, Josiah opens up the next ornament, we read the Biblical story that goes with it, sing some songs, pray, and then put the ornament on the tree. I have been surprised by how much Josiah has gotten into it. It has been a great reminder to Jared and I of God's promises, and preparation for the coming savior. Tonight we read of how God promised the Israelites He would take care of them, however they listened to their own hearts and disobeyed. Yet, Got assured them that in spite of their failure He would not abandon His people and out of this people came a King. What a reminder of our own inability to please the Father, and also of his sovereignty and control. I am excited to be able to continue this tradition from year to year, as our children grow, and as we spend December in preparation for the coming King.
Here is a picture of the first five ornaments. It has taken me a while to make all twenty five, still have 11 to finish and just trying to keep up with each day. I have had some adventures getting all the supplies to make them, everything I bought at our local market, except for the interfacing which came in the box from the states. I also am no artist, although so far Josiah has been able to figure out what every one has been (something I was pretty surprised by :).

No comments: