Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fat

I cannot tell you how many times in the past week I have been told that I am fat, literally. Now I am seven months pregnant, and feel rather large, but still. It seems weird to be hearing almost daily that I am fat, this is with it being winter too and me almost never leaving the house. When I first came to Asia, 11 years ago, I was in a ballet company and I remember being told regularly that I was a foreigner and that I was fat. Being a ballet dancer this was very difficult to hear, although I quickly learned that it was merely the statement of a fact and also often a compliment. Now I am no longer a ballet dancer nor as concerned about my appearance in that area, although I think this statement of fact is still rather shocking to hear. I guess I need to just put aside my learned ideas about looks and be ready to smile and thank the next person who comments on how fat I am and how big my cheeks are (as I was complimented on today).

No comments: