I am daily working to learn how to live here, in a way that is more than just survival. Much of that is learning the language, a never ending and ever daunting task. Another part is learning the culture. One evening last week it was beautiful and we decided to go to the park for a sort of 'picnic'. We picked up some KFC sandwiches and found ourselves a rather empty section of the park. By the time we had settled in and taken the first bite, we had around 20 people in the area staring at us. Another 10 or so came over and sat right next to us and started asking us questions. Our kids are so incredibly cute too, a few of our visitors could not resist touching every single one of them :) Everyone was really friendly and caring, it is hard to not just sit and visit. On the other hand, it is hard when something to this effect happens every single time we go out. We do not ever get to be anonymous, especially when we have the kids with us. I want to learn to do more than just survive here. I want to learn to love this place and I think much of that is understanding the people we live among. Jared and I are often trying to put ourselves in the shoes of those around us and asking ourselves questions like, "What are they thinking right now?", "What are is their reason for doing or asking what they just did?". What a daunting task! I pray regularly for wisdom and patience in this area.
Kelly, I can totally relate. We really struggle with this dynamic as well; going out in public sometimes is just not very relaxing or refreshing when you are constantly facing SO much unwanted attention. And yet, these are the people that you want to love and be open to reaching out to. It's a hard balance. Looks like you guys did great and had a fun time on your picnic. Fun pictures!
I hear ya Kelly! This is such a struggle! To be invisible....to blend in. I like how you and Jared are trying to think about what they are thinking and feeling. I often forget to do this and go straight in to complaining or irritation mode. It is exhausting at times and yet these are the people we want to love and talk with. It's a hard balance. We need Father desperately!
3 comments:
I can definitely relate to you on that one! I think Karissa said it well when she said you have to always be "on."
Kelly, I can totally relate. We really struggle with this dynamic as well; going out in public sometimes is just not very relaxing or refreshing when you are constantly facing SO much unwanted attention. And yet, these are the people that you want to love and be open to reaching out to. It's a hard balance. Looks like you guys did great and had a fun time on your picnic. Fun pictures!
Blessings,
Rachel W
I hear ya Kelly! This is such a struggle! To be invisible....to blend in. I like how you and Jared are trying to think about what they are thinking and feeling. I often forget to do this and go straight in to complaining or irritation mode. It is exhausting at times and yet these are the people we want to love and talk with. It's a hard balance. We need Father desperately!
Post a Comment