I have had many requests for the yogurt recipe. It came from a friend's website, is not my own. Hope you enjoy.
YOGURT
2 cups water
2 cups milk powder (I use Nestle Full Cream Milk Powder here)
2 Tbs yogurt starter
2 cups hot boiled water
Whisk together 2 cups room temperature water, milk powder, and starter. Add 2 cups hot water and whisk just a bit. Pour liquid into clean jars. Let set for 4-6 hours
Note: When letting the yogurt set, it needs to be in a warm place. I have been pouring my yogurt into nalgene bottles, wrapping them in a towel and putting them in the microwave (it seems to be a great insulator). Also, I have been just leaving it there overnight, sometimes easier than not using the microwave for a full 6 hours. I have a friend who has been using a big thermos thing and she says it works great too to help the yogurt to set.
Note #2: I have also heard that the thicker the yogurt starter you use the thicker your yogurt will be. A lot of our yogurt here is really runny. I found the thickest I could find and used that the first time. It worked great and have now just been using my own yogurt as the starter for the next batch.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kelly,
Thanks SO much! We have been spending a lot on yogurt since my girls love it so much; I will definitely try this and see if they will like it as much. Do you often sweeten it or just leave it plain? very creative with the milk powder; I was thinking I was going to have to start with fresh (not UHT, which we usually buy) milk which is mafan to get. So this sounds great! I'll give it a try!
And thanks for the advice about Clara Anne's ballet. I'll keep working with her at home and we'll keep soaking in the class. She loves it so far (in fact is sleeping in her ballet tights and leotard right now "so I will be ready for class tomorrow, Mommy"--class starts at 1pm!) Thanks again!
Rachel
Post a Comment