Friday, July 15, 2011

Josiah's Prayers

Josiah had a difficult day today. This morning he was rushed during breakfast, rushed to get his shoes on, and rushed to school. (We were all running late.) Then when I picked him up from school I found that he had been mean to another boy in his class and was not compliant during lunch time. Later in the day he sadly found that his bottle containing cherished ants had accidentally been thrown away, or at least that is what we are assuming since we cannot find it anywhere. He also got in trouble for being physically mean to Jacob. The list went on and on. It seemed to him, and me, that it was one thing after another. Then this evening, just before bedtime, I walked into the kids room. All three kids were standing on the toybox, looking out the window. The sky outside was pink with maybe the fifth colorful sunset I have seen since we have moved here. Josiah had his hands folded and head bowed and was thanking God for the beautiful sky outside. He said Amen and then immediately began to pray again. He prayed that God would forgive him for being mean today and he began listing characteristics of God that he was thankful for. While he was praying, Jacob and Emma were watching him. Just as he completed his second prayer, both Jacob and Emma folded their hands and began praying. Jacob used single words in a string, "sky" "beautiful" "daddy" "mommy" "thank you", Emma babbled. I was standing at the door, unnoticed, and felt like crying. I had been so frustrated with Josiah, and myself, that evening, trying to figure out what to do with him so that nothing else happened (involving the other kids) and how to talk with him so that it actually sink in. God already knew all that Josiah, and I, had been going through that day and also was the One who could, and did, soften Josiah's heart. What a humbling moment for me, me who is continually trying to do, do, do, to make everything good and right. My son on the other hand, on his own accord, went to his heavenly Father, praised Him and asked for forgiveness. God once again used my children to teach me about Himself and make me more like Him. I am thankful for His lessons!

No comments: