Thursday, July 14, 2011

Smoothies

Lately we have been enjoying smoothies, at least every other day. It is warm outside, we have an abundance of super yummy fruit, and I have a child who does not like to chew and swallow (smoothies make snack time much more enjoyable).
In a blender we mix approximately a cup of FROZEN fruit (strawberries, mangoes, and peaches are a few recent favorites), a banana (if we have it), a cup of plain yogurt (I use my homemade stuff), a couple teaspoons of sugar (amount depends on taste and how sweet the fruit is), a dash of vanilla, and a couple tablespoons of milk (more or less depending on how thick or thin I want the smoothie). I have experimented some by adding whipping cream (made it super creamy), have tried adding some orange juice along with the strawberries (was kind of like an orange julius), and we have tried lots and lots of different fruits. It has become a great treat for after naps. Emma even has a special "smoothie sippy cup", one with a hole cut in the spout so that she can easily get at the sweet, frozen, creaminess inside. Yum!

No comments: