We moved here to Asia when Josiah was 2 1/2 (he is now 6 1/2) and ever since have been trying to figure out the best way to help him learn the local language. We have tried two different local schools, inviting friends over to play, taking him outside whenever possible to play where other kids are, meeting with a tutor, etc. After four years, we still don't really have any answers. Currently he is going to a local school five mornings a week and also meeting with a tutor about four hours each week. In the past few months I have noticed Josiah maturing. His schoolwork has intensified this year, with writing characters, higher level math work, and memorizing and memorizing and memorizing. Relationships have also been a struggle. He has been learning some hard lessons through each difficulty he has faced. As most parents do, I want so much to just take him out of the problem. Yet, he is regularly praying through the struggles, and discovering that he cannot do what is right through his own strength. Jared and I have also been stretched as we seek how to best advise Josiah, Biblically. Thankful for the Word, praying for wisdom.
Josiah in character writing class, blond boy on the right. (Not a very clear picture, I took it through a window.)
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment