Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Josiah

Today Josiah turned 3 years old. Wow, was he excited. This was the first time we have had a birthday for a child who actually knows it is his birthday. He has been asking, ever since we were getting ready for Jacob's birthday, when it was going to be his birthday. From the time he got up today, he was looking forward to birthday cake and to his friends coming for a party. We started the day with bagels and cream cheese (homemade bagels and imported cream cheese purchased in the big city). Yum!!! Just as good as Panera Bread, Josiah's favorite place to go for breakfast when we lived in Kentucky. Then Josiah and Jared went and ran errands, which included playing basketball at some basketball courts. They came back for lunch, with these fried bread things our house helper makes that Josiah likes. Next came naps and then some play time while we got ready for friends to arrive. For Josiah's party we had a ball theme, still his favorite thing. While I finished up dinner, everyone colored a placemat with different balls on it. Then we ate, spaghetti, salad, and bread, Josiah's request. (At first I did not think it would be possible, I have not been able to find pasta in our city. However we just went to the big city last week, one more thing I was able to pick up. Yeah!)

Here is Josiah fully enjoying his meal. He cleaned his plate.

This was the first time Jacob had spaghetti and he loved it!
Next we did cake, since we already had kids messy with spaghetti. Of course I forgot to take a picture of the cake. It was chocolate and had four different balls on top. All decorations were thanks to friends at Clifton. Thanks, you made Jacob and Josiah's cake's possible! I didn't make a real piece of art, but it sure did taste good. We had very little left over.
After cake we played "put the basketball in the basket", think of pin the tale on the donkey.
Last came opening presents. Even though Josiah was aware it was his birthday, I think he either didn't know or forgot about presents. We had to encourage him to start opening, once he got going, boy was he into it! He got a fishing pole/fish set, a bunch of homemade cookies (what he says is his favorite food this week), a tent thing with ball pit and basketball hoop, and a Dr. Seuss book. Here he is playing with multiple gifts at once.Jacob really got into the paper first...
Then into the ball/tent thing. I think he spent an hour in there just playing with the balls.

The adults had a great time sitting on the couch, drinking coffee, and visiting, while the kids played with the new toys. It was a really great get together for all of us, kids and adults alike. (Plus, I used paper plates so clean up was a breeze :). Josiah had an awesome day too. At the end of most days we talk about the things we are thankful for. Josiah's list was extremely long tonight.

We now have a 3 year old. I really have been having a hard time believing Josiah is turning 3, I think I often have thought of him as being older than 2. I have been realizing lately how much we expect of him and how much he rises to the challenge. He has been learning a second language and works on it daily, he has been experiencing a new school all in this second language, he often has a lot of responsibility when it comes to helping out at home and especially when we travel. All this and we also are teaching him to obey, put others before himself, and that he is created by God to glorify Him. Josiah, we are so proud of you and the many ways God has gifted you! Happy 3rd Birthday!

No comments: