Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hydration

During Jacob's sickness we had a 'cultural experience' we are still laughing about. Thought I would share it with you. First I need to give you a bit of background information. It is extremely common here where we live to go to the hospital and get an IV. In fact in the short time we have lived here, and known our househelper, I think she has recommended one of us go to the hospital for an IV in at least 5 or 6 instances. It just seems to be the thing to do. Well anyways, last week we were concerned about Jacob being dehydrated and it was suggested by a US doctor that we look for an oral hydration solution. Supposedly it is available, and somewhat common, here. We also had the name in the local language. Jared went to 5 different pharmacies and one hospital looking for this 'drink'. The responses he received are what we are still laughing about. At two of the pharmacies, the clerks were rather thrown off by the idea that you would give a person something orally to hydrate them. They did not understand why you would not just give them an IV. Then at the hospital Jared talked with a doctor. The doctor told him to just get the IV solution, add a little sugar to it and have Jacob drink it! Imagine, this coming from a doctor! I am curious what really is in this stuff. Well, we did not do either and never did find the oral hydration stuff. In the end Jacob began to drink on his own accord and quickly improved. I also just discovered yesterday that I have a recipe for a hydration drink in one of my cookbooks (a friend pointed it out) as well as how to administer it. We have learned a bit about local medicine, Jared learned a lot of local medical language, and I learned some new stuff of caring for my kids when they are sick. It is encouraging sometimes to be able to just get a good laugh out of the situations we find ourselves in. Jared and I have appreciated the humor involved in this story.

No comments: