Saturday, September 26, 2009
Wedding
We attended our first Asian wedding today, and had a great time! Our househelper invited us, it was her friend's, daughter's wedding and our househelper had been talking about it for a long time. She was very excited to be able to take us to our first local wedding and introduce us to many of the wedding traditions and customs. We had a bit of a crazy start to the adventure. For the past couple weeks, I had understood that we would meet her (our househelper) at 4:00 in the afternoon. Jared even double checked it for me yesterday. Well, it turned out she was picking us up at 10:00 in the morning, not 4. You can imagine my surprise when she and a friend showed up at our door at 10 this morning. Jared was at school, Jacob was taking his nap, Josiah was playing in his room, and I was having a quiet time reading. Jared left class, when I called him, and rushed home while I got the boys and myself ready. Even after living here for 9 months, I still don't have my numbers down? I was a bit frustrated with myself. We headed to the restaurant where the wedding would take place, and got there before anything was happening. The local custom is to have a 'train' of decorated cars that go first to the new home of the bride and groom and then to the restaurant to eat. Once the bride, groom, and family arrived and were situated, they had a "show". It was complete with strobe lights, lazers, colored lights, bubbles, smoke, sparklers, just about anything you can imagine. This was all in one room of a restaraunt. The boys loved it! There was an MC who basically took care of all the special effects, introduced the bride and groom, they exchanged rings, gave thanks to family and friends, etc. Then we all ate lots of good food. It was a fun Saturday event for us to be able to be a part of. The boys did great too. Josiah did really well using the local language, answering questions, using kind words when he did not want to be touched, etc. Jacob did great too, making the rounds in others arms. They definitely were a popular item. Josiah is still talking about it. This evening he was walking around pretending like he had a microphone (talkerphone as he calls it) and pretending to speak the local language (basically gibberish with real words stuck in here and there). We really appreciated being included in this event and are already looking forward to the next opportunity we have to be a part of a wedding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Girl, Glad the wedding went well! Sounds like lots of fun!!Don't feel bad about the 10 and the 4 getting mixed up. They are so much alike and sometimes the way people say them sound identical. This is where those hand motions for the numbers come in very handy!! :) Glad all worked out!! Blessings! Sarah
Yup, I understand the number confusion. One time, I thought I was getting a really good 4 "dollar" deal when in reality I was paying 10. I didn't understand when the salesperson wasn't pleased with me when I tried to hand him a five!
Post a Comment