Sunday, April 12, 2009

Chicken

This past week I planned to roast a chicken to shred and use in multiple meals. One afternoon I asked our househelper to buy us a whole chicken. First she asked me if I wanted one that was alive, she communicated this through hand motions and noises. I was quick to communicate that no she could just get one that was already dead and de-feathered. The next morning she arrived with the chicken in a plastic bag. I was excited to find that it included the feet, head, eyes, little mohawk thing on its head, everything (except the feathers)! When it came time that afternoon to get ready to bake it, I proceeded to cut off the head and feet. My househelper immediately asked if I wanted them. When I replied in the negative she asked why I had not told her that before, I could have saved some money. I felt rather dumb when I told her that I did not know what to expect when buying a whole chicken here in our country, but now I guess I know. She immediately asked if she could buy the head and feet from me, for the equivalent of one US dollar. I insisted that she just have them, we didn't want them (although maybe I should have asked Josiah first, he seems to be ready to eat anything). Our househelper was very grateful and has thanked me multiple times for the feet and head. I have learned two new words through this whole thing, head and foot, and have learned once again that I need to be ready for anything!

No comments: