Wednesday, April 1, 2009

When in Asia, Do as the Asians?

As the weather begins to get warmer (we are still in our down jackets and long-johns, so not that warm) we have been venturing outside more often. Josiah and I have been exploring the play area in our complex, as well as the pathways, dry stream beds and fountains. With all this exploring, we sometimes end up a ways from our apartment building and it can take a bit of time to get back to our apartment. This seems especially difficult when Josiah needs to go in to use the bathroom. He is potty trained but still has lots of close calls and the time it takes us to get back to our building, wait for the elevator, head up to the 23rd floor, unlock the door, take off coat hat and shoes, and get into the bathroom is a bit long. I did it a couple times but then began to notice what the locals do when faced with a similar problem. When they have a little one who has the urge, they simply take them over to the side of the play area, and squat them down. (They already have a split crotch in their pants so it makes it pretty easy.) Well... the other day we went ahead and joined the club. Josiah needed to go so we went over to the side of the playground and he went. No one seemed to think anything of it, including Josiah, although inside I was cringing. I don't think it will be something I will get used to, but I guess there are many things we do we probably will not get used to.

3 comments:

Morello Madness said...

I'm not ashamed to admit it -- we've done it too! Sometimes, they just can't wait! And, on occasion, I've made my kids go outside even when there was a public restroom near by b/c I just couldn't handle going the bathroom!! Locals didn't even seem to mind that either!
~ Keep exploring!
Amy

Rachel W said...

Kelly, hey, at least you took him over to the side! We have often had mysterious "puddles" appear in play tunnel, at the bottom of the slide, etc--right where other kis are playing! One day we were drawing with sidewalk chalk and a young child squatted down to see what Clara Anne was drawing, and sure enough...soon there was a puddle within inches of where Clara Anne was sitting! Ahh, life in our place!

Take care,
Rachel W

Kevin and Becky said...

That is so funny, Kelly! Did you encourage him with the "Tssst, tssst, tssst" sound they make?