Sunday, February 27, 2011

One Sad Mom

Today is Josiah and Jacob's first day of school, and wow do I miss them! In an effort to have us all in more intense language study, we made the difficult decision to once again search for a local preschool for the boys. I visited many schools, asked many questions, and we all spent time in prayer over it. We decided on a public preschool that is very simple in what it offers, and has more experienced teachers (when compared to other places we visited). Josiah has been super excited as we have bought 'inside shoes', a special towel, and had school pictures taken. He is also super excited about eating lunch at school. Jacob is more unsure. This morning when I dropped them off, he was holding his teacher's hand with tears streaming down his face. Our thought is that they will be going four to five days a week, from 8:30 to noon. During that time I will be studying with a language tutor at home, while Emma sleeps, and Jared is at school. I am definitely nervous about the whole set-up, but also know that we are at a crucial place in our time here and in the time of our children. We really see the benefit of learning language, for all of us, and are trying to figure out how to best promote this. Please be praying for us as we go through this next few weeks of adjustment.

5 comments:

Laura Forman said...

Praying...praying...praying! Asking for strength for you and courage for the boys.

mckanna said...

I will be remembering this for you guys!! It can be so hard and heartbreaking to leave them sad at their school, but it can also be a very rewarding time if they adjust. Our children have benefitted so much from their preschool and while there were (and still are) days where I second-guessed, the Father has been so gracious and helpful to assure me that He is still in control. May this be a growing time for all of you and not just in your language, but also in your trust of the Father and His kind care.
Kami

Laura Forman said...

How have you been handling the boys in Preschool?? Been lifting you up! :)

Rachel said...

I'm praying for you Kelly!

It can be so hard to leave them at YRY, yet I was surprised how quickly my kids adapted when we prayed for them, talked encouragingly about it to them, and figured out ways to make it easier for them. (I.e. I hate the rushing around in the morning so we finally got a system worked out of laying out clothes the night before and making other preparations to help them feel more relaxed and less stressful as we tried to "get out the door" in the morning). We also got to know the teachers a bit and let them know our standards for the child's behavior, and let their comments about things THEY thought were important roll off our backs. For example, often Clara Anne didn't eat much at her lunchtime there, but that simply wasn't important to me. I knew she was going to come home and have lunch again anyway. But if she got upset about something or didn't treat another classmate well, I wanted to know about that.

I think it's really wise to be investing in language at this point. You are right about a crucial moment...this extra intense study will hopefully give you a big BOOST and it will impact your life and work for the future. I will be praying for you! Hang in there!

Blessings, Rachel W

Beer Bot said...

Make sure they know how to ask to use the bathroom.