Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Eyeballs

Yesterday morning our househelper arrived with a large fish to cook for lunch. She was showing the fish to Josiah. It was probably about a foot and a half long and completely whole. Josiah asked he if he could eat the eyes. I translated for him and she said sure. When Josiah was served his lunch he had rice, fish, and it was arranged so that the two eyeballs were sitting looking at him just below the cut up fish. He sat down excited, we thanked God for the food, he immediately gobbled up the two eyeballs, and said in our local language "delicious". I am really working to not pass any of my own cultural "weirdnesses" on to Josiah. I guess I must be succeeding in some ways. He did not think twice about in enjoying this delicacy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!! I wish I could have seen a video of Josiah's reaction to that!

MacKenzie Haley said...

oh my gosh! i don't think i could have eaten them.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
that is TOO funny. Way to go, Josiah! He obviously was eager to eat them!

Finally found your blog again after a week or two of finding that I kept misspelling it. Now I'll add it to my google reader and get your posts automatically.

So glad for you that you found a house helper! You will enjoy the time with your kids more and she will be a great help to your language. I learned very quickly many household words because of this! Also, as your language improves you will be able to chat with her more. It's like a daily tutor, with even more motivation to learn since it's so practical!

Blessings to you all,
Rachel W