Friday, March 27, 2009

Language Learning

Jared has now been in school for a month and I have had a tutor for three weeks. We are learning, although is seems very slowly. I decided this week that I am learning just enough to make very big mistakes, and am know enough to sometimes actually know when I make those mistakes. Last week I was in a taxi and the taxi driver was asking me tons of questions. I did not understand any of them so instead I just started offering him information. I told him that I had a husband and two sons. I told him the ages of the boys and where we were all from. Then he asked me where my husband was from. I thought I had already answered that one, but went ahead and answered it again. Then he asked me if he was in Asia and I said yes. Which he once again asked me again, and I answered again. I could not figure out what was going on. Finally once I got home and talked with Jared, I discovered that he was asking me if my husband was Asian. Oops! Oh, well maybe I will run into the taxi driver again some day and I will be able to actually answer a question.
Being home with our househelper every day has also been helping me with language, although we definitely use different vocabulary than when in a taxi. I will never forget the word for sugar, after having a 10 minute conversation with my househelper the first day she was here, as she was trying to find the sugar. Since then I have discovered that the word is the same for sugar, soup, and hot, just different tones. I also found the other day that the word for government and husband is similar, something I will have to be careful of in conversation otherwise I may have some other rather hilarious stories to write in the future.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Ah I cant wait to see you guys! They are growing so much :) Jacob still looks as happy as ever!