I have been realizing lately how much more of the local language I understand, when compared with last spring. (It really is not much considering the entire year that has past and the amount of studying we have done, but at least a little improvement has been made). Jared and I often just listen to what people are saying as we are out, especially when we are out as a family. Here are some things we often hear:
"halor, halor". The local pronunciation of hello. Where we live many words, in the local language, get an 'r' added to the end of them. Sort of like an accent. So, they then use this when they say hello.
Often after saying 'hello', spoken in english, the next comment is 'they don't understand asia-nese', spoken in the local language. I often want to respond to them, in the local language, well you weren't speaking asia-nese.
My recent favorite: We will be walking along and someone sees Josiah running and comments on the foreign kid. Then they see Jacob coming behind and comment on the TWO foreign kids!. Next they notice Emma in the carrier and it is announced loudly and broadly that there are THREE FOREIGN KIDS!!!!!
Friday, May 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Too funny! Nice to know you are making a splash on the social scene!
Post a Comment