Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Flour and Friends

Last week our past househelper came over and taught me how to make jiaozi/dumplings.  Actually, I guess our entire family got involved.  It was great fun and I came away with an actual recipe.  My househelper is a 'real' cook, she just dumps, squirts, and can tell if she needs to add more or less by how it looks.  I am a 'try to be' cook, who has to measure and time everything.  She knows me too well!  She used my measuring spoons and cups to help me know how much of everything to add, and also gave me an idea of how long to time different steps.  Now I can make jiaozi on my own, although they definitely are not as beautiful as my teacher's.  Jared and the kids got into rolling the skins and wrapping them with the meat/vegetable mixture.  By the end we had flour all over the floor, chairs, faces, shirts, hair, etc.  We also had a great time laughing with Nai Nai (grandmother).  It had been a long time since the kids, and I, had spent time with her.  She and I are planning to get together a few more times, so that I can learn how to cook some of our favorite dishes.  I am definitely missing the lunches she used to prepare for us each day!



No comments: